Saturday, March 1, 2014

A Good Deed Unnoticed (But Not Forgotten)

By Danny P.

            Some of the best deeds one can perform are the ones that receive little or no recognition. I am no stranger to these kinds of occurrences because I learned a long time ago that it’s important to do good things regardless of public recognition. Sometimes, you get a rewarding feeling from your good actions. Most often, it’s a feeling that you can hold close and don’t necessarily have to tell people about. I don’t care if anybody believes me on this one, but I once saved a man’s life and the good deed went relatively unnoticed.

            My most noteworthy good deed was performed at Myrtle Beach during Senior-Week back in May of 2013. Some friends and I went out to a nightclub on the second or third night of our trip. Everybody else seemed to be having a good time, but I just wasn’t having the time of my life in the noisy and overcrowded atmosphere. I stepped out to get some fresh air and was separated from the rest of the group for the majority of the evening. During this time, I ran into another friend of mine from back home who was also having a night under par.

            This friend’s name was Hunter and he wasn’t enjoying himself at this club either. After some time passed, we decided to go back in and hangout for a bit. Even though we were underage we were able to full the bartenders into serving us alcohol. After a fairly intoxicating amount of drinks, Hunter noticed this girl on the dance floor that he thought to be pretty cute. It took me several minutes to talk him into getting up out of his seat and approaching her.

            When he finally went over and talked to her, it took a little while for them to really hit it off. Eventually they started dancing and once again, I stepped back outside for another breath (or two) of fresh air. At this point, I checked my cellphone that had been on silent most of the night and found a plethora of unread messages and missed calls. Everybody from my group had thrown a fit and thought I was lost, kidnapped, or worse. Everything was eventually settled and they were relieved to know I had just gone for nice little stroll.

            I was lucky enough to find out that my friend Jake had made it to the car before everybody else had. I made it to our parking spot and the two of us just played the waiting game from there. About 3 or 4 minutes had passed when we saw a man stumbling his way to the car that was parked diagonal to us. I can’t remember what kind of car it was, but he was trying to unlock it the old fashioned way with the keyhole in the door. It was quite clear that he was scratching the hell out of his car door with his key when he finally got it opened. As he began to start the car, I can remember Jake saying, “That guy is definitely gonna kill somebody on his way home tonight.” Jake’s ex-girlfriend was also awkwardly waiting with us at the car when she begged one of us to go over and say something to the guy.

            I went over and talked to this man who looked not much older than myself. I was able to probe enough information from him to understand what drove him to this belligerently drunken state of mind. His fiancée of about 2 years or so had just broke up with him earlier that day for another man. He had been wasting away, getting drunk at the bar next door to the nightclub since the early hour of that afternoon. By this point it was close to 1 A.M.

            I tried as hard as I could to identify with this man and he kept telling me that he didn’t care what life had in-store for him anymore. The point I was trying to make with him was that he could really hurt someone else or even himself if he would’ve made the decision to get behind the wheel that night. I embraced the poor guy and gave him a hug. I might have even got some of his tears soaked into my t-shirt, but I told him he was not leaving in his car that night. Our car was already packed so I waited with him as he called for a ride and was eventually picked up.


            By the time he was leaving, the rest of my group of friends were making it back to the car and wondering who this strange guy was. I had tried to explain the situation in a text message to one of them minutes earlier but they didn’t believe that I was actually in a situation like that. We all went back to the hotel after that and my friends praised me like a hero for the duration of that night. Eventually, the week carried on as planned and it seemed like everybody else distanced themselves with the memory. Maybe it was because it was a blemish on their night of fun and excess, or it could have had something to do with me getting all the recognition for once. One thing I knew for sure was that it didn’t matter how they all felt because I truly did something good. I stand by the decision to talk to that guy to this day. I’ve had a lot of good days, but I think about that night on the days that aren’t so good and I’ve been feeling down-and-out. It is proof that good deeds are meant to make you feel god, not look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment